This tofu and avocado bun is one very healthy bun!
If you don’t have buns at home, you can easily put this on a slice of toast. This way you can use the left-over old bread.
The liquid smoke provides a delicious smoke flavour and is really something you should have at home. It should be one of your basic ingredients, as it adds the real smoky wood taste to your dishes.
The liquid smoke is available at some vegan shops and online.
- 1 to 2 avocados
- 250 gr of natural flavour tofu
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger (powder or fresh)
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Roasted or freshly baked onion
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- When the tofu is completely drained, cut it in small slices of 0.5 centimetres (cut as many slices as needed for the buns, take 2 slices per bun).
- Mix the soy sauce and the liquid smoke in a bowl and put the slices in the bowl, cover all sides with the marinade and marinate for 30min, turn around every now and then.
- Peel meanwhile the avocado and put the flesh in a bowl with 1 tsp soy sauce, the ginger and plenty of black pepper. Mix everything till it becomes a creamy paste.
- When the tofu is sufficiently marinated, take it out of the marinade and fry the tofu till it’s crispy in large pan with hot olive oil (about 3min for both sides).
- After you fried the tofu till it’s crispy, pour the marinade over it, season with pepper and fry for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread both sides of the buns with the avocado paste and put the fried tofu on top of it and sprinkle with the roasted or freshly baked onions.