Aquafaba! Aqua what? Aquafaba, the brine that’s in a jar of chickpeas (lentils, beans, any kind really) that you can use as a replacer for egg whites. Just whip it up, preferably with a mixer, and use it just like you would use egg whites.
“I’ve had a fear of aquafaba because I really wanted to make those awesome meringues and as we all know meringues are a hell to make, even with eggs. But last weekend I took up the challenge to make chocolat mousse and it was so amazing I wanted to share the recipe with you guys.” – Elien
- Brine from one jar of chickpeas
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 100 ml soy milk
- Whip up the brine. When it starts forming peaks, add the xanthan gum and the powdered sugar and whip until it form nice and stiff peaks.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate au Bain-marie. When fully melted add the milk and vanilla and stir until you get a fluid mass.
- Let cool down until it reaches room temperature.
- Carefully stir the chocolate under your ‘whites’. But don’t be too harsh ’cause you might loose the airy texture.
- Pour into nice presentation glasses or jars and leave in your refrigerator for at least four hours, although overnight is even better.